Anyone else out there thinking of being a rebel this Christmas and not cooking the traditional festive feast? Sometimes it can be nice to spend time focusing on family, rather then spending hours in the kitchen cooking. We are excited to offer you the perfect unconventional Christmas dinner..... a vegetarian pizza brought to you by the lovely Brittany from @icook_theyeat. If you haven't come across Brittany's feed yet on Instagram it's a must see! Her outlook on life is 'Family, Food & Fun' and that's exactly what you will see in her posts. Here at Creative QT we have been known to salivate at some of her recipes! Take it away Brittany.......
With the holidays right around the corner, I've been thinking about what I could make that would blend my childhood family traditions, with the new ones my husband and I are creating with our daughter. Some of my favorites almost always included food, one of which was my Uncle's tradition of making Mojo Pork for Christmas Eve. He had this bottle that had everything already mixed together, so we never knew all of the ingredients, but from what I remember there was definitely orange juice, garlic, and maybe some lemon or lime. It always had a sweet and sour taste with this incredible bite from the garlic. One serving was never enough!
This year, I decided to recreate that Mojo, but with a few new twists! One was, no pork, being that my husband and daughter are both vegetarians. I decided to use one of their favorite meat substitutions, Jackfruit. I use a version I find at Trader Joe's, that's brined and canned. The next thing was, instead of serving it over rice or potatoes, I made a pizza with it. Almost every year since my husband and I began dating, our tradition has been to eat pizza on Christmas, and we've continued that even after our daughter was born. The last difference, was adding a few spices and condiments that usually don't go into Mojo.
My changes resulted in a crunchy, garlicky, cheesy, and mouthwatering pizza that was devoured in minutes! When you play around with your food, and break some rules, it makes life extra special and extra yummy! I hope you love this delicious recipe and I wish you a very Merry Christmas!
Mojo Jackfruit & Caramelized Onion Pizza
Makes 1 Large Pizza, Serves 2-4
1 can jackfruit (drained and rinsed)
2 cups orange juice
Juice from 1 lime
Juice from 1 lemon
1 garlic clove chopped
2 tbsp mustard
2 tsp cracked black pepper
1 tsp pink salt
1 store bought pizza dough
Majestic Garlic, Dill Delicious Creamy Garlic spread
1/4 cup chopped bread & butter pickles
3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar
sliced green onions (optional)
1. Mix your orange juice, mustard, lemon juice, lime juice, pepper, coriander, cumin, garlic, and salt. Set aside for about 1 hr to turn your orange juice sour.
2. After an hour add your mixture to a crockpot that has the rinsed jackfruit in it. Stir and set on low to cook all night.
3. In the afternoon turn the crockpot off and transfer the jackfruit to a bowl to cool.
4. Caramelize your onions by, dicing, and sautéing them over medium heat in a skillet with oil and a pinch of salt. Stir occasionally, and cook for about 10-15 mins or until browned. Set aside to cool.
5. To assemble your pizza, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Stretch your dough onto a parchment lined pizza pan, then start adding your toppings.
6. Begin by smearing the dill garlic spread all over the dough, until it has a thick layer. Next sprinkle on about 1 tbsp of cheese.
7. Add on your onions, jackfruit, chopped pickles, and the rest of your cheese.
8. Place in the oven on the center rack for about 10 mins, then remove pizza from pan and slide back onto oven rack. Continue cooking for about another 10-15 mins or until browned all over.
9. Slice and enjoy!!
P.S. You can make this vegan, by changing out the cheddar for any non dairy cheese you have!
Sometimes the unconventional traditions are the best right?! Thanks so much to Brittany from @icook_theyeat for this awesome new vegetarian pizza recipe to try out over the holidays!
Creative QT designs quality + innovative toys that declutter homes and inspire creative play. Founded by parents of five, Adam and Dana Sue Hinkle, Creative QT’s vision is to empower parents and encourage a culture of families that Make Time Together. All products are designed to enrich families’ lives through active, creative play and play based learning. Creative QT products are laboratory tested for compliance with CPSC requirements and are free of lead, cadmium and phthalates so you can play with confidence. So, go ahead … today is the day: be your kid’s hero.
"LEGO®is a trademark of the LEGO Group of companies which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site."
Shared materials are a thing of the past this school year so we've been getting creative with ways to make individual learning resources with our products. In this blog we share how to use ourStoryBricks® andPeel 'n Stick Baseplates to turn a small $1 container into a multi-purpose learning box which fits conveniently inside a student's desk.
Hoping to give your kids a great play table to create on whilst also solving the never-ending problem of storing building bricks? We've got a great IKEA hack for you which ticks both play and storage boxes!